My first thought is to recommend this book to those of you aware of publishers like Fantagraphics Books -- with their wonderful library of art and artists past and present - with at least a couple of them appearing in Debra's book. (This book reminds me of Monte Beauchamp's survey Devilish Greetings: Vintage Devil Postcards or the 2 volumes of mythological creatures found in Beasts and Beasts 2).
It's great fun examining all the variously wild oddities of monstrous imagination in this book, and the works are great inspiration for today's artists. You must see the wild collection of creatures, some in detailed imagery dating as far back as the 1920's. Here are just a few sample images from the almost 90 pages:
The book is divided into six parts via a loose timeline of works from the past to modern working artists:
- Stanley T. Chaplin (12 cards by this artist - image 2)
- F. Frith & Co LTD, Reigate
- Photo postcards including Cornwall
- Miscellaneous by Various (Vintage selection - image 3 and 4)
- Other postcards resembling the Cornish version
- Contemporary Artists (Biography and works by Bloom, Bonfiglio, Buntin, Ellis, Ewert, Fodrocy, Fulton, Geary, Gleason, Greenwood, Harris, Hine, Kirscht, Lewis-MacDougall, Malinow, Meister, Miller, Newcomb, Nolan, Nielsen, Savage, Scruff, Vanover, and Wiley - last 4 images offer a small sample).